I am a photographer, writer and environmental campaigner from Ireland, living in Barcelona who creates images questioning humanity’s relationship with planet Earth, and our profligate use of energy and resources.
I grew up with a strong connection to the natural environment; the turning of the seasons, or knowing what time was high tide on the River Slaney. Out fishing in a boat on the river with my dog or riding my bike around quiet backroads. These experiences fueled a passionate interest in human interactions with the Earth. I’ve travelled the world, and sailed on Greenpeace expeditions to the Arctic and Antarctic, where I’ve seen both the auroras borealis and australis. crossed the equator twice by ocean, been up close with polar bears, humpback whales and tasmanian devils, camped under the Arctic winter moon and sweated on the northern hemisphere’s largest glacier under the 3am Arctic sun.
But I don’t live in some glittery paradise – I like chaotic cities with a sense of humour, like Dublin and Barcelona.
Back in this so-called ‘civilization’, I photograph the dirty magic of daily street life, urban wildlife, the rubbish on the streets, the insane traffic. This for me, is the behaviour of the most powerful animal on the planet. Humans sitting steadfast in their cars, in rush-hour traffic – this is as interesting to me, as the migration patterns of birds, or the melting of Arctic sea ice.
Everything is connected.
In September-October 2012, a solo exhibition of my polar photography, The Cold Edge, took place in Dublin, Ireland.
My photographs have been used by The New York Times, National Geographic, GEO (France), The Guardian, NPR, High Country News, Discovery News, The Irish Times, Inside Climate, New Statesman, The Sunday Times (UK), The Financial Times, The Straits Times (Singapore) Nature, the HBO comedy series Flight of the Conchords, Greenpeace International, New Scientist, The Smithsonian, Sierra magazine, BBC Wildlife magazine, the Irish Labour party, British Airways, I Count – Stop Climate Chaos, the UK’s National Theatre, Conde Naste Traveller, Forbes, Fortean Times and many others, including book publishers. Many of Dave’s images have appeared on book covers. I have also written for several newspapers and magazines, including The Irish Times and Mare magazine (Germany), and is the author of three books, Haunted Dublin, A Load of Blather, and The Cold Edge, a book of polar photography.
- The Cold Edge, at the Powerscourt Townhouse Centre, Dublin
- Encore! Winter exhibition (group) at the Copper House Gallery, Dublin
- The Arctic: Another World? Solo Exhibition, Bibliotheque Woluwe-Saint-Pierre, Belgium, 3-30 December 2013 (with Greenpeace Belgium)
- The Arctic: Another World? Solo Exhibition, during event at the Hôtel Dolce, La Hulpe, Belgium, 29 November 2013 (with Greenpeace Belgium)
- The Arctic: Another World? Public solo exhibition at Bibliothèque de Laeken, Brussels, September 30-October 18th 2013, in partnership with Greenpeace Belgium and the Ville de Bruxelles.
- The Arctic: Another World? Solo exhibition at The Belgian Senate, Brussels, April 23-October 26th 2013, in partnership with Greenpeace Belgium.
- The Cold Edge – Polar Photography. Solo exhibition at The Copper House Gallery, Dublin, September 13-October 2nd 2012.
- Christmas Print Exhibition at The Copper House Gallery, Dublin, November 29th 2012 – January 8th 2013.
- Shortlisted for Extreme Environment Photographic Competition 2011, Hobart, Tasmania: Ribbed Iceberg, Kangerdlussuaq Fjord, East Greenland. More on this in the blog entry. Shortlisted images were exhibited in the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, May 2011.
- MobFORMAT 2011, International Photography Festival, Derby, UK, photograph of “Men Stepping out of a Forest” in Barentsburg.
- Environmental Photographer of the Year 2009, toured through UK and Ireland in 2009/2010
- Stand up for Photojournalism, National Union of Journalists (touring) 2009, UK
- Parallel Worlds, Solo Exhibition, October 2007, The Factory, Sligo
- Check out my cycling writing and photography here » on furiousriding.cc
- Environmental writing, and communications and campaigns consulting on ColdReality.org
- blather.net – the best website in Ireland. Really.